Monday, October 5, 2015

The Good Wife 7x01 "Bond" Review

-SPOILERS BELOW-

The hiatus is over! I’m very happy to say that The Good Wife has returned and Season 7 is underway. I want to preface this review with my thoughts going into this season. I haven’t been too happy with the writing choice of bringing new characters onto the show, and then having them disappear before the season is over. I feel like they are putting too much focus on these new characters. The main characters, aside from Alicia, seem to be getting pushed aside.

This reigned true with the first episode of Season 7. I realize that the show is about Alicia’s journey and it is really her show, but I don’t think it’s fair to give the supporting characters the backseat. Diane and Cary were very absent throughout the episode, and I can’t believe they gave Howard Lyman more to do. They seemed to turn Diane into a “bad guy” during this episode. These directions with characters really disappointed me. I’m just happy they were included in the episode.

As for characters like Eli and Peter, there was a lot of development for them. I have never liked Peter, I’d just like to get that out there. When Peter just let Eli go after all he’d done for his campaign, I felt a little heartbroken. Then we see Eli, typically such a bold and forward character, reduced to sulking in his apartment. It’s just so sad. Eli’s replacement, Ruth, (a new character played by Margo Martindale) was not a character that I liked. This opinion is completely biased, considering that I like Eli. Seeing Eli back at his game at the end of the episode made me hopeful again. 

Alicia, however, was not at her game. I felt bad for her as she continued to perform below standard in court. The lawyer she ends up befriending, Lucca, (another new character played by Cush Jumbo) was a character that I did end up liking. I liked her mix of professionalism at work and fun after hours. I was pleasantly surprised by the guest judges played by Christopher McDonald (Grease 2, Happy Gilmore) and Jane Curtin (3rd Rock from the Sun). It was almost like a mini-reunion for Jane and Christine Baranski (Diane); both shared an episode of 3rd Rock together. It’s always fun to see who they get to guest star as judges, lawyers, or witnesses.


Despite my complaints, I enjoyed the episode and I look forward to seeing what this season will bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment