Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back to the Future Day

Today is a historic day in the eyes of movie-goers everywhere. October 21, 2015, the iconic date where Doc Brown and Marty McFly went into the future, our present. It’s mind-boggling to me that in the 80s, our present was their future, and come tomorrow, it will be everyone’s past.

I am very ashamed to say that as of October, 21, 2015, I have not seen any of the Back to the Future movies. I’m a fan of Michael J. Fox and all things 80s, so I certainly want to get into the franchise. I don’t know why I haven’t watched them yet, given the countless other 80s movies I’ve watched. Nonetheless, I will get around to watching them. What I’ve heard has made me very much intrigued.

The Fine Brothers, Benny and Rafi Fine, have a YouTube series where they have different generations react to various things in pop culture. They recently uploaded an episode of Teens React where they had the teens react to the trailer for Back to the Future: Part II. This video taught me a lot of things I was unaware of. Embarrassingly, the only specific thing I knew before watching the video about Back to the Future was that the time machine is called the DeLorean.

Some of the predictions of the “future” portrayed in the movie seem silly to those of us who actually live in 2015. We may not have pizzas that start small and grow, self-drying jackets, or the fashions, but we have come close with some things. Flying cars and hover boards are being developed. We don’t have holographic movie posters, but we do have 3-D movies (We also do not have Jaws 19). We don’t have newspapers with moving pictures, but we do have gifs. The glasses shown in the movie are very close to the Google Glass technology. The self-tying shoes are being developed and a working prototype was sent to Michael J. Fox himself. The movie was spot on with the prediction that we would become a very technologically reliant society.


2015 also marks the 30th anniversary of the first Back to the Future. Toyota teamed up with Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd to show off an alternatively-powered car with a segment called Fueled by the Future. I love when fellow cast members come back for reunions. I think it is so great that they were both here to experience this day in history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment