Monday, October 26, 2015

The Good Wife 7x04 "Taxed" Review

-SPOILERS BELOW-

Finally, an episode where Diane gets a significant amount of screen time! Another positive, an absence of Howard. Once again, I though this episode delivered some great cases and some great dynamics.

For once, I was excited to see Michael J. Fox back as Louis Canning. Not that I don’t love MJK, I’m just not a huge fan of his conniving character. He had some really funny scenes, hamming it up big time with his ailments. I thought it was so viciously great that he was dropping his crutches or fumbling with his pill bottle to try and distract his opposing council. Seeing Diane against Louis was so refreshing, as Diane has not been shown in the courtroom in a while. I loved that she was not buying into his act at all and that she even offered several times to help him so she could get back to her questioning. I just love Diane’s attitude about how she handles things when it comes to cases.

The Lockhart vs. Canning case was one of controversy. It was centered on physician-assisted suicide. It was saddening to see the video the patient made, addressing what she was about to undergo because she couldn’t take the pain anymore. I felt so sorry for the patient’s mother, seeing she was testifying that her daughter did not have to die because treatment was found.

I also felt terribly sorry for Alicia. It seemed everyone was against her in this episode. I just wanted to give her a hug. It seems the judge absolutely hates her based on her past, so he continually rules against her. The bond court case was very interesting. Seeing that most of the accused were people of color, it did raise speculation. It was unfortunate to see Alicia’s fellow attorneys becoming indifferent towards her because clients were requesting to be switched over, due to the stance she was taking on the matter. The outcome of the cases was a surprise to me, seeing that the accused were actually innocent. I would’ve never thought the true evidence would be discovered via a surveillance tape, revealing that it was in fact the mother of the accused that actually committed the crime.


I was so relieved that this so called “sexual tension” between Diane and the new character, Ethan, was not present. I also found it shocking at the amount of allusions and metaphors that were used. Some included references to Harry Potter and Fahrenheit 451. Overall, I enjoyed this episode more than previous episodes this season. Though, the cliffhanger at the end did leave me on edge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment