Thursday, October 8, 2015

My Love for Diane Lockhart

Have you ever fallen in love with a supporting character? Ever felt the struggle that goes along with it? I know I have. I think I feel this sensation the most with Diane Lockhart (played by Christine Baranski) on The Good Wife


The Good Wife is a show that revolves around a lawyer named Alicia Florrick. Alicia was once an associate, being mentored by Diane. Diane plays a vital role in the show’s plot. The problem is, she’s supporting. I can’t speak for every show, but I have found that a lot of shows tend to highly develop their main character and slack on the development of the characters that support them. This said, I think they’ve provided a very interesting progression for Diane’s character over the last 6 seasons of the show.

I love how much of a role model she is for women. She works around men, she got to the position she is now because of a man, and men have also hurt her. But these experiences and interactions have made her stronger. Diane is a senior partner at a very prestigious law firm in Chicago. She shows that whoever you are, you can do great things with your life. She also shows that you follow your dreams, not those that others expect of you. Her parents wanted her to be a senator or a nurse, and she chose not to follow those paths. Choosing her own path has made her a happier person.

This leads me to my favorite thing about Diane Lockhart; her relationship with her husband, Kurt McVeigh. Diane is a democrat, with three generations of democratic ancestors before her. And Kurt, a republican, wins her heart. It was hard for her to grasp at first, but then she realized that backgrounds shouldn’t matter when it comes to love. I think she carries a beautiful message with her. Kurt is also a ballistics expert with friends who hunt. Diane’s friends are also democrats who are opposed to the current gun laws. When they met Kurt for the first time, it was like oil and water. Later, Diane stood up for herself. She loves Kurt and knows how much he means to her. I think not letting your friends stand in the way of what is meaningful to you is very important. I would say Kurt and Diane are Romeo and Juliet without the death. She also teaches the lesson of compromise. She and Kurt have chosen to not let politics get in the way of their relationship. This doesn’t mean that they won’t have friendly debate about who should become the next president. From an outsider looking in, their relationship could appear to be a powder keg.


I think Diane stands as symbol for anything is possible

No comments:

Post a Comment