Thursday, October 22, 2015

Addams Family Values Review

If you hear that well-known tune, you’re obligated to snap. Of course I’m talking about The Addams Family. In my opinion, the sequel to the 1991 remake is much better than its originator. This is Addams Family Values.


This film works so well in my opinion. I don’t really remember the plot of the first movie because I just wasn’t interested. With Values, I am very interested. The Addams themselves are so quirky that you just have to love them. Wednesday is my favorite of the Addams clan for her dark personality. I think this movie is so successful because it has a Wednesday-centric storyline. Having the Addams kids go to summer camp seems like such a strange thing to have them do, but the payoff is so great. I love that they gave Wednesday a friend – later a romantic interest, Joel. He doesn’t seem like the kind of person who would be drawn to hanging out with Wednesday and Pugsley, but his nerdy persona meshes well with their gothic one. Christina Ricci does such an amazing portrayal of Wednesday.

As for the antagonists for the Addams kids, they are interesting to say the least. Amanda, to me, is the typical teacher’s pet (in this case, camp leader’s pet) who we love to hate. Several scenes that Amanda and Wednesday share have me laughing every time. I especially love the “lifesaving” scene. Becky Martin-Granger and Gary Granger seem a little too involved in their positions. Being the fan of Christine Baranski that I am, I have to love Becky. I just don’t think Becky and Gary work well as a couple. The “Kumbaya” scene is my favorite to come from these two.

I really love the overall antagonist of this film. Debbie, played by Joan Cusack, is an absolute riot. She is the type of character that you don’t expect to be the villain. I love how she is the “Black Widow” who marries men, takes their money, and then murders them. Going after Fester as her next victim is a set up to so many scenes, given that Fester is so childlike in nature. The sexual innuendoes displayed tend to be a little awkward, save for the comments prior to Pubert’s birth. I love Debbie’s rant at the end about how she ended up with a Malibu Barbie instead of what she really wanted. I won’t say any more about it from there.


The core of the Addams clan, Gomez and Morticia, are charming as ever. I love their relationship and how they display their love for each other. Overall, I love this movie and it is a must for me every Halloween. 

No comments:

Post a Comment