Thursday, January 28, 2016

Thoughts on a Star Wars Fan Theory Regarding Kylo Ren

I recently came across a Buzzfeed post about a fan theory involving Kylo Ren’s actions in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. After seeing the movie myself, I didn’t see any redeeming qualities about Kylo Ren (Ben Solo), but this theory got me to rethink. From now on, I’m going to talk spoilers. When Kylo killed off Han, I was so angry and wanted nothing more to do with him. I’m the type of person who gravitates towards protagonists more than antagonists. There are some villains that I absolutely love, but Kylo has done so much and caused so much pain for the good characters that it’s hard for me to find something to love about him. I just feel that he let down the legacy of his parents.

Personally, I would really enjoy if Rey ends up being the daughter of Han and Leia. In the original trilogy, Luke and Leia are brother and sister and have the dark side of the force pressuring them to join. In The Force Awakens, Kylo has already given in to the dark side, but has the light side pressuring him to return to the light. I think it would be interesting if Rey and Kylo end up being siblings and remain on their respective sides of the force, finally bringing balance to it.

To sum up the theory, Kylo wants to help the light side and bring balance to the force, but he had to turn to the dark side in order to do this. His main objective in the end is to kill Snoke. He is always saying how much he idealizes Vader and how he wants to “finish what he started.” At first, I thought this meant that Kylo had glossed over the fact that his grandfather did return to the light side before he died. This theory proves that to be wrong. Before Vader was Vader, he was Anakin Skywalker, the chosen one set to bring balance to the force. See how this is all making sense?

Kylo needed to become a Sith before he could complete his task with killing Snoke, but he would have to sacrifice someone closest to him to succeed in his training –Han. Han willingly sacrificed himself to his son without even realizing it. This never occurred to me. Kylo didn’t want to kill his father, but he had to in order to complete his task. This was not in the theory, but I think the new name for the Empire, the First Order, could also be a reference to the overall plan. Kylo’s first order of business is to kill Snoke.


I hope this is true because I actually enjoy that the new trilogy seems to be mirroring the events of the original trilogy quite a bit. They have said in the press that this new trilogy will continue to follow the Skywalker family, so I think revealing that Rey has Skywalker blood in her and is the lost sister to Ben, like Leia was to Luke, is a great way to set up a continuation to a story that we already know and have followed for many years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment