Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Thoughts on Grinchmas

Every year around Christmastime, Universal Studios holds a celebration called Grinchmas. During this event, visitors to the park can interact with various Whos and attend themed shows. You’ll be able to meet a range of Whos including; Cindy Lou Who, Mayor Augustus May Who, Martha May Whovier, and the Grinch himself with Max. Sadly, I have yet to go to this event, but I have kept myself informed through various videos posted on YouTube. I’ll continue to live vicariously through the experiences of others.


I think the choice to create an event based on a successful Universal property was a brilliant idea. Being as this is one of the only Universal properties set during Christmas, it serves as a great way to bring the wintery spirit to the otherwise warm climates of California and Florida. I feel like both parks have their benefits. Orlando has Seuss Landing which serves as the home of a meet-and-greet spot with the Grinch. Hollywood is my personal favorite, being that it was where the movie was filmed back in 2000. The movie was filmed on some of Universal’s soundstages, so some of the original set pieces are there for the guests to see. When on the tram tour of the backlot, the tram takes a turn to Whoville. Here, there is a short presentation with all your favorite characters from the movie dancing right in front of the original façade of Martha May’s house.




They also offer a longer show called the Whobilation Spectacular, with music from Manheim Steamroller. I think this is a fun show with some great added music.


My favorite thing was the Tree Lighting Ceremony. I say was because in the past couple of years, they’ve shortened a wonderful thirteen minute show into a three minute one-and-done. The old show had such an impact on me. It had the same charm that the movie exerts and made me insanely happy every time I would watch it. The new show has such a disconnection, in my opinion. I don’t understand why they changed it and I wish they would revert back to the way it used to be. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.





This being said, I really enjoy some of the new additions. They now have an A Capella show with a Who boyband called the Whoville 5 or the Wholiday Singers. Storytime with Cindy Lou is a wonderful live reading of the original book that allows younger audiences to participate in the story. I love that they do this. I wish they’d bring back the celebrity readings. I’d love to see Jim Carrey and Christine Baranski make an appearance, since Jeffrey Tambor has already done so. My favorite of the new shows is Martha May and the Who Dolls. This is such a fun show with a whole lot of energy. It's so interesting to see the evolution of her dresses over the years.


I hope to go to Grinchmas someday and experience the magic for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment