Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Pajama Game Review

I went to opening night of The Pajama Game and I thought it was wonderful. I have to say, I didn’t think this production was as strong as other productions such as Jekyll and Hyde or Nice Work If You Can Get It. This has nothing to do with the cast, they were fantastic as always, I think it was the overall plot that didn’t completely win me over. I felt it was continuous jumping from the factory to the office to the club to the outside and back to the factory. I just found it to be a little hard to follow at times. This was also how I felt after going to the preview, so I think it’s just a plot with some flaws.

I really enjoyed the overall concept and the 50s flair. I really enjoy musicals that are period pieces, so that was a big plus to my experience. One of my favorite things about this production were the costumes. They were nothing fancy or overly dramatic, but the simplicity of the costumes and the hairstyles brought a lot of spunk and charm to everything else.

I was very excited to see what the music was going to be like. From the preview, I thought the songs were cute. I particularly really liked There Once Was a Man and I liked it just as much seeing it for a second time. My favorite song was a song that I wish I would’ve seen at the preview because after seeing it, I wanted to see it again. This song was I’m Not At All in Love. I just loved it. I thought it was incredibly well done and all of the girls’ voices went together so perfectly. My favorite ensemble number was Once a Year Day. The costumes, the set, everything was working together so well. I loved the choreography and how complex it was at times. It was sort of hard to keep track of everything because almost everyone on stage was moving all at once, but that’s part of what made it so entertaining and fun to watch.


This has nothing to do with the performances or anything, but I was upset that a song list was absent from the program. I just like to be able to keep track of sequence of events. Other than that, I did enjoy the production, I just didn’t feel like it was the strongest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment