Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bringing Movies Home

I am not a person that goes to see every movie that is released in theaters and I’m certainly not one to purchase a new movie very often, but when I do, it’s a big deal for me. I would consider myself to be a movie buff and I always get excited when a movie I’ve been wanting to see again is released for the public to bring home. I always gravitate towards getting the versions that offer a DVD, a Blu-Ray, a Digital Copy, and occasionally a bonus disc with special features (which is usually the version offered at Target). I wanted to talk about this topic because of the two most recent movies that I’ve purchased from Target. I have been buying my movies from Target ever since 2012 when The Hunger Games came out on DVD. I was so happy with the bonus discs that came with the Target exclusive, but the packaging wasn’t the greatest.
I think packaging is really important. A lot of movies and music are now switching to non-plastic packaging because it’s more eco-friendly. This is great for the environment, but not always for assuring the safety of the discs. With the other three releases of the Hunger Games movies, Target switched to having their exclusive content come in a very nice, hard cover book with movie stills inside to hold the discs. I really enjoy these books and I wish that the first movie could’ve been released this way. I think the exclusive book for Mockingjay Part 2 has the nicest look to it and is definitely my favorite in my collection.


I recently got Star Wars: The Force Awakens from Target as well, once again because I wanted the bonus disc with the extra content. I also wanted this version because I really liked the cover art on the Target version compared to the versions offered by other stores. I wasn’t super happy with this version. I still love the cover art and the stills offered inside, but I hate the packaging. It’s completely cardboard. It’s essentially the same format as what was offered for The Hunger Games, so I don’t understand why they couldn’t have made a similar style book to hold the discs. This would’ve made the extra five dollars that was needed to purchase this version more worthwhile. All of the options for consumers is ridiculous in my opinion and I wish there would just be one great version for a reasonable price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment