Monday, September 14, 2015

Mamma Mia! (2008) Review


Welcome to my review of the 2008, movie musical, Mamma Mia! These are my personal thoughts and opinions on the film.

Mamma Mia! is one of those feel-good movies that I can watch over and over, without getting tired of it. The constant ABBA hits and wild costumes leave me with a smile on my face every time. I absolutely love how they were able to create an entire story around songs from a Swedish pop group from the 70’s. Despite having a wonderful and timeless soundtrack, I have to say my favorite part of this movie is the star-studded cast.

Amanda Seyfried plays the bride-to-be, Sophie. Dominic Cooper plays her fiancée, Sky. Meryl Streep plays the lead Dynamo and Villa owner, Donna. Donna’s best friends and fellow Dynamos, Tanya and Rosie, are played by Christine Baranski and Julie Walters. Sophie’s potential fathers are played by Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgård, and Colin Firth. Personally, I feel like the casting was perfect. Meryl and Amanda have a very believable and endearing mother/daughter relationship. Meryl, Christine, and Julie have great chemistry and look like they are having as much fun off-set as they are on-set, if not more. Pierce, Stellan, and Colin each have very distinct personalities, making for some very comedic scenes. Amanda and Dominic are very playful and fun. Lastly, the side characters of Ali, Lisa, and Pepper add to some interesting and memorable scenes. Benny and Björn’s cameos do not give them a lot to do character-wise, but nonetheless, they are fun to look out for.

I love the sets that are displayed in this movie. I find it hard to tell sometimes which scenes were filmed on sound stages and which were filmed on location. I find them all to be very visually pleasing. The shots on the Greek beaches really do look like paradise, as they mention. In terms of cinematography, I think this movie was beautifully shot. I think it offers a wide range of close-ups, wide angles, camera pans, slow-mo, scenery, and ensemble shots. The costumes are displayed very well among the various camera angles.
For singing and choreography, I think both were done very well. With the exception of Christine Baranski and a few others, the majority of the cast had never done singing professionally. Knowing this, I think the cast as a whole sounds phenomenal. I prefer the movie’s soundtrack to the original, Broadway soundtrack. The choreography is fairly simple, save for a few musical numbers, giving the movie an intimate quality. I have danced and sang along with the movie many times.

Overall, I think Mamma Mia! is a very solid movie on its own, but it’s an amazing musical. I wish certain songs weren’t deleted, and I wish some were added. Other than that, I have no complaints.

I would highly recommend this movie and I give it a 10/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment